Responsibilities of the company’s responsible person
It is a legal requirement that a company nominates a “responsible person” to carry out the actions required by the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
Many responsible persons still do not fully understand their responsibilities and how failure to comply with the Order can lead to hefty fines and/or a two year prison sentence.
The Order is enforceable by the local Fire & Rescue Service (FRS) who:
- Have the power to inspect your property
- Will expect to see your fire risk assessment
- Require you to record your findings (if you employ over five people)
- Will want proof that you have taken action on your findings
- May issue an enforcement notice or a prohibition notice, if they are unhappy with your fire risk assessment
For more information on what your local Fire & Rescue Service requires, visit their website.
- Berkshire: www.rbfrs.co.uk
- Dorset: www.dorsetfire.co.uk
- East Sussex: www.esfrs.org
- Hampshire: www.hantsfire.gov.uk
- Isle of Wight: www.iwight.com/Residents/Fire-and-Rescue-Service
- Surrey: www.surrey-fire.gov.uk
- West Sussex: www.westsussex.gov.uk/wsfrs
- Wiltshire: www.wiltsfire.gov.uk
Follow this link for more information on Fire Risk Assessment.